Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pre-Feast Activities for kids part deux...Thanksgiving fun

This project is for when dinner is almost ready.  You've rounded up the kids so they are close at hand, but you want to keep them occupied just a bit longer.  Daddy's carving the turkey, Auntie is tossing the salad and Grandma is piling warm, buttery rolls into a basket.


Pretend this is your table setting, notice the canning jar in the corner.  You are going to make one of these for each of the kids in your family.  Here's the supplies you'll need:

You will need a pint size canning jar for each child.  You will need 16 crayons per each jar, and you will need an assortment of construction paper.


Cut several pieces of construction paper in half length-wise.  Whatever colors you like.  I put in 4 pieces of paper per jar.


Write a note for each of your children, letting them know all the reasons you are thankful for them.  This is a nice thing to read during your Thanksgiving meal. I always like to emphasize being thankful on Thanksgiving.


Put 16 crayons on the perimeter of each jar.  Roll up the 4 pieces of construction paper and put them inside the crayons.  Take your list and roll it up even tinier than the construction paper, and place it in the middle of the construction paper.


Decorate it!  Tie a piece of burlap and a bit of gold ribbon around each jar...you know...to make it festive.  You can't have ugly crafts at the table.  It is a feast, after all.


While you're waiting for the feast to being, have the kids draw pictures of what they are thankful for.  If they are old enough, they can write what they are thankful for as well.  But nothing keeps my kids occupied like drawing pictures.

My Oldest...




...is thankful for the turkey. 

My Youngest said she is thankful for me.  Aaawww


...so she drew a sunflower.

Thanks for reading!

Heather

Shared here:

Visit thecsiproject.com

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thought to do for the kids and I love what they wrote too. SO special and that really is the meaning of being thankful. LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw some other incredible ideas for thanksgiving children table. I love the handwritten thankful note

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a very large family, and lots of kiddos. If I can pull it together, I'm going to bring several of these to our get together. The kids will love them. Sharing and pinning ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Heather! Where were you when my kids were little???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! I bet you have a big plastic storage box filled with memories. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever. I always get the kids involved as much as I can. I find it not only keeps them occupied but there are usually lessons to learn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kids are so sweet and it's no wonder since you are raising them to be thoughtful and grateful people. I love this idea. I love that idea of having children think about and be aware of the reasons they are lucky and what they have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, that was cute but WOW! Look at you rockin the new 'do!! Hot mama!

    Andi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...