Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Oven Roasted Shrimp... aka the best shrimp you will ever eat

oven roasted shrimp
Those are some pretty confident words, you might be thinking as you read the title of this post. The Best Shrimp I Will Ever Eat. But really, can it be true, you might say. Maybe you've had some really good shrimp in your time. But, if you haven't eaten shrimp that have been roasted in the oven with their shells and tails on, baby, you are in for a treat.

I like my shrimp simple; with a squeeze of lemon and some seriously horseradish-y cocktail sauce. I mean, clear your sinuses kinda hot.

Now that I've got your attention, wanna know how to make em? 


Oven Roasted Shrimp
As much shrimp as you think you want to eat.  Just make sure they are raw and have the shells and tails still on.  I choose wild shrimp over farmed.  I also choose Jumbo size.  You choose what works for you.  I like 1.5 lbs for 4 people.  It leaves you satisfied and maybe you have some left over for lunch tomorrow.
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 F. 

De-vein the pile of shrimp.  If you do not know how to de-vein a shrimp, you need to cut (with a sharp paring knife) along the back of the shrimp.  I always think at first that I need to do it on the inside of the shrimp, thinking that their intestinal track will be where I imagine their bellies should be, but it's not.  It's on the back.  Then you want to clean out anything you find there.  There's not always black, yucky stuff, but more often than not there is.  I just rinse with water and use the knife to scrape anything out.

Once you have cleaned all the shrimp, pat them dry with paper towels.  Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with some oil.  Now sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place in the oven on the middle rack and cook for approximately 6 minutes.

Now, turn all the little shrimps over, put back in oven, and cook for 4 to 6 more minutes until they are pink and cooked to perfection.

Commence to eat with a squirt of fresh lemon juice and dipped in spicy hot cocktail sauce.  If you want to be fancy, like my Mother, then you'll do this...




I like to include the celery leaves.  They have a flavor all their own.  Kinda herb-y, I would say.

Then do this...

Spoon a generous dollop of cocktail sauce in the middle.  Liberally add shrimps right in the bowl. If you wanna be like me, you can leave em dressed and make whoever is eating them, de-shell them.  Don't forget a lemon wedge.  Just place a shells and tails bowl on the table and a pile of napkins. You're gonna need em.

Mmm. I think I'm scratching my plans for dinner tonight, and making this instead.

Enjoy!

Thanks for reading!

Love if you'd follow the Hearth on Facebook

Follow me on Instagram and see all the fun stuff I don't share here
Instagram

Also,

10 comments:

  1. Heather, These may be the prettiest shrimp I have seen! Your shrimp and Sherry's Crab Mushrooms are making me want to run straight to the seafood section at the grocery store! I never thought to cook shrimp this way...I need to try it, and serve them the fancy way, like you mom :O) YUM! Awesome post and pictures...great share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, that sounds like the perfect dinner if you ask me. I might have to do that myself this weekened.

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful shrimp! I've never cooked shrimp this way before either but cannot wait to try it. I even have some jumbos in the freezer now~! Definitely going the fancy way and making my peeps peel their own ;) A little bit of work for a yummy reward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, you are going to love this recipe then. So flavorful!! And, exactly, make them do a ltitle work for the goodness that is to come.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. We eat alot of seafood so I am always looking for new recipes. I am a new follower via Cheerios & Lattes and would LOVE for you to come share at my weekly Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/11/farm-girl-blog-fest-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking, I have gone ahead and joined your blog fest. Really, if you love shrimp, this recipe is so delicious. I will never boil a shrimp again. I've also become your newest follower...excited to learn about chickens.

      Delete
  4. Hello! I’m stopping in to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-7-country-craft.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by. I would love to join.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking up Heather! I hope you'll join us again! Totally trying this technique this week!

      Cheers,
      Kathy Shea Mormino
      The Chicken Chick

      Delete
  5. This is by far the absolute best! I will never make shrimp any other way from now on. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...