Thursday, October 18, 2012

Stuffed Mushrooms...good for a low carb eating...

Yeah...I'm kinda making up my own diet.  It's mostly low-carb with a few healthy carbs thrown in...like oatmeal.  But, dang if I don't need a tasty treat every now and again.  These mushrooms are so good.  They're not necessarily meant to be for a low-carb diet, but they work.


Ingredients:
Approximately 24 button mushrooms (washed if dirty) and stems popped out but reserved
1 lb of sausage, browned
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
A splash of beef broth...maybe half a cup
A pile of shredded cheddar and Pepper Jack cheese (or whatever you like...sorry for the vague amount.  Maybe a cup?)
1 egg
8 oz of softened cream cheese
Pecorino Cheese, shredded





Brown your sausage. 

Saute onion until softened in the reserved sausage grease (add a splash of olive oil if needed), over medium heat.  Add garlic at the very end and cook until fragrant....that means just 30 seconds max.

Chop up the mushroom stems finely and add to the garlic and onion once they are done cooking.  Saute all together for a bit over medium heat.  Add some salt and pepper to taste. 



After they have cooked for a second, add your beef broth.  Allow to simmer until reduced completely.  Scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the plan.  This is flavor!



Remove from heat and let cool a bit.  Add shredded cheddar and Pepper Jack cheese right into the skillet.  As you can see it melts a bit.



Whip up the softened cream cheese with an egg and add the sausage mixture.  Mix until combined.


Stuff mushroom caps generously.  And then sprinkle with Pecorino cheese.  If you've got Parmesan, it'll work just fine.

Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes until everything is meltsy and golden.

sausage stuffed mushrooms


Devour.  I know they're not the most beautiful looking thing you could eat in the world, but they are darn satisfying.  I also decided to throw in a picture of myself as I don't do that very often.  If you have left over stuffing, you can cook it over low heat in a sauce pan and serve it with crackers.  Very tasty.  To make them more beautiful, I would add some chopped parsley.  As I didn't have any, I didn't add it, but you could.

Enjoy!

Thanks for reading.


Heather

8 comments:

  1. Oh Heather! I want some...now...for breakfast!! They look delicious and you look marvelous girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni...I may have eaten the leftovers for breakfast. They are totally breakfast food...thanks.

      Delete
  2. I want some too!!! Stuffed mushroom are one of my very favorite treats EVER! When we all get together some day you have to make these!!! ;) It seems we like a lot of the same foods. I have to say I didn't know what Pecorino cheese was until I googled it I and see it's an Italian Romano. Mmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, you got it! They were particularly good. Do you know, I like pecorino better than parmesan. It's a sheep's milk cheese and I think it has a sharper/tastier flavor. If you see it...definitely try it.

      Delete
  3. Oh they look delish - I love stuffed mushrooms - love em!!! And you're a cutie - definitely want to see more pics of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat, you should try them, they were very tasty!! And...we'll see. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “I know they're not the most beautiful looking thing you could eat in the world, but they are darn satisfying.” You are right. Sometimes, the most unappetizing-looking food has the most satisfying taste. ;) Anyway, good choice on the mushroom! It has health benefits that will really make you feel good. It helps in strengthening the immune system and in improving the condition of the skin.

    Mack Shepperson

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...