Monday, October 1, 2012

It's gonna be a Ghastly Halloween

Alexander Henry Ghastlies Pillow

Because of this...my favorite Halloween fabric, ever.  And my favorite go-to project when I want to make something quick, spur of the moment and experimental....pillows.


I figured my Ghastly Wallhanging needed some companion pillows.  Of course my camera was d-e-d dead when I was putting them together, so...there's basically no construction shots.  Except of the back.  It's all good.  I pretty much did a Log Cabin around the square with the complementary fabrics.  I think it's cute.  I will admit to having a slight bit of trouble trying to figure out what colors go with Old Lady Mauve and Grandpa Gray....and find it slightly odd that I am decorating an entire month out of the year with these colors...but hey, when it's love, it's love.

I have chronicled pillow making many times...here, here, and also here...sorta.  So here's a quick update.  Ghastly style. 



Cut lace to fit.  But only buy enough to do the horizontal and not vertical sides of the pillow.  Hey, it is what it is.  If I don't have enough of something, but want to sew now, then I just make do.


Remember, for a pocket pillow case, you want to cut the back pieces so they overlap enough that when you shove a pillow in, it doesn't have an unsightly gap.  My front panel is 22 x 22 inches, so I cut my back pieces 22 x 14 inches.  Also remember to put front sides together.  This is my favorite thing to forget.  Luckily I remembered this time before I actually started sewing...this time.  Sew.



Make sure to hem the edges that will be visible.  Normally I would say get out the hem measurer thingy...but this time...I eyeballed it.  Approximately 1/4".  This turned out just fine.


Here's a very important trick...one that I also forget almost every time I make a pocket pillow.  You want the top flap to be on top of the overlap. So, this means you have to place the top flap down first front sides together.  How many times will I say that...probably a lot.

Now sew along both sides.

Flip it right-side out.  Poke out the corners and put a pillow in.  Enjoy.

Thanks for reading!


Heather

8 comments:

  1. Heather this is the cutest! Love the fabric and the black lace trim is the best! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black lace is my favorite too! It's actually brown. But they didn't have grey or black when I went...I figured it'd work.

      Delete
  2. I love the fabric, Heather! So fun! You make the cutest holiday decor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, those pillows are so ghastly! The fabric is perfectly ghastly!!! I need some Halloween Pillows!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, thanks! You definitely need some Halloween pillows!! I think I might bust out all my decorations today. W

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...