Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grilled cheese using mayo...not butter.

I have heard it said that there are people on this planet who use mayo the same way they would use butter.  I'm sorry...what?  And...why?

As I was reading October's Good Housekeeping...look, sometimes I need a little help in the housekeeping arena.  They've got good info.  Plus, the adorable Jamie Lee Curtis is on the cover, and if I am going to have a celebrity BFF...I'm telling you, it's gotta be her.  In fact, I was just telling people how I think her hair is great.  Considering I am fairly certain in not too many years I am going to be fully gray...it's nice to see a gal with gray hair, rocking it.

Side tracked.

grilled cheese using mayo

Anyway...somebody asked what they can do to prevent their grilled cheese from burning and the advice was...use mayo instead of butter on the outside.  Well then...if it's good enough for Good Housekeeping, it's good enough for me.

Didn't my bread toast up nicely?


And isn't this just the supper for a...sort of...blustery fall evening?  I think so.  Some chicken tortilla soup and a grilled cheese on the side. 

How'd it taste?  Well....aside from the fact that it was a great tip and it toasted up very nice...I really did miss the buttery richness that only butter can provide.  So, if you find that you are constantly burning your grilled cheese, go with this method.  If you can maintain a low enough heat that your bread browns nicely and your cheese melts at the same time...use butter.  Remember, butter has a lower tolerance for high heat...so you've got to babysit it a bit more than oil...which is what's in mayo.

Have I been sewing?


Yes.  Outside whenever possible, even in the sweltering heat.  I'd rather be sweltering under a quilt and enjoying the beautiful summer days than enjoying the air conditioning.  This was taken a few days ago.  When it's not pretend-fall like today.

Thanks for reading!


Heather

7 comments:

  1. I just grilled a sandwich 15 minutes ago (I use olive oil)- I should have come here first! I wonder if Olive Mayo would work....I'm going to try this tomorrow and let you know! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you tried this! I'm afraid I would miss that butter taste too!! I would like a taste of that soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about substituting mayor for butter for a while...but I just couldn't fathom a mayo and jam sandwich. This was a better way to try it.

      Delete
  3. I think you guys grill differently to us - we dont use anything on the outside of our grilled cheese. Please tell me how you do it. And that dinner looks YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine it coming from a greasy spoon restaurant. You butter two slices of bread. Heat a skillet over medium or just a touch under medium. Put your first slice butter side down. Top with a slice of American Cheese (You know, the fake stuff). Top the cheese with the other slice of bread, butter side up this time. To make sure my cheese melts, I always cover my sandwich with a small plate while it cooks. Once the first side is nice and golden. flip it. Replace plate. Once the 2nd side is done. Slice on the diagonal....it's gotta be cut into triangles. Tradition. Yummy. Meltsy. Good. try it and let me know what you think of your first American Grilled cheese.

      Delete
    2. Ok def will try this - thanks telling me. We just toast them in the oven. I'm thinking some soup too while the evenings are still cold .....yum

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...