Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Cold Preparedness Kit

I'm not talking about the Polar Vortex, either.  I'm talking about the congested, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, aching head, kind of cold.  Because I've got one.  Of course.  I will blame it on the polar vortex, though.  Nothing like a change in seasons to bring on a cold, and our temps have dropped from a gorgeous autumn, mid-60's, blue skies, falling leaves to...I think we're going to peak in the high 20's today, and where the heck is your winter coat from last year?  Anybody seen her gloves? And, Where'd my ice scraper end up last Spring?

This is what I need when I have a cold...

Lots of soft Kleenex, the kind that has lotion in it because I've got one sore nose and have used about a million of them since morning.  Clementines.  Orange Juice.  Lemons and Tea (I particularly like this mojito mint tea from Stash).  Throw in a nice, mucus-reducing decongestant, my bed and a good book, and I can almost be content.  Except for one more thing.

I need a warm, broth-y soup that I didn't have to cook for lunch.  As I was perusing the soup aisle looking for anything that sounded good and was broth-based and marginally good for me, I came across the best instant soup I've ever had.  Forget those packages of ramen, this is what you want.  It cost $3.50 which I feel is plenty for soup, but after I ate it, I felt it was worth it.

Annie Chun's Vietnamese Pho
The brand is Annie Chun's and I chose the pho because I enjoy a good bowl of Vietnamese Noodle Soup (minus the intestines) and I wanted the soothing warmth that only hot broth can provide when you're head feels like it's stuffed with cotton fluff.  I was very pleased.  I have nothing to do with Annie Chun's, just that I want to share when I find something good.  I plan to eat this every day until I feel better.

Course, I wasn't planning on falling in love with an instant noodle soup, so I didn't take any decent before pictures, but this soup comes in a bowl with a packet of soup base and dehydrated toppings, like green onions and bok choy and the noodles packaged separately.  It's organic, has no MSG and no preservatives. It was quick and easy to make and the best part is (apart from the tastiness,) as far as I can tell it's actually good for you. 

Annie Chun Pho
I doctored mine up just a touch with some rooster sauce (Sriracha) and a squirt of lime juice.

So, if you have the same cold I am suffering from, take a cue from me and get some instant pho, tissues, orange juice, tea....you get the idea, and you'll be glad you did. 

Thanks for reading.

Heather

6 comments:

  1. What...you no like intestines???? I pretty much hate intestines too. Well, at least my large one. I'm sorry you're feeling poopy. It's pretty frigid here too...Thank goodness for remote start....

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat bags of those cuties all winter. I"m sorry you're feeling bad Heather and I hope you feel better soon! Thanks for the tip on the soup...I'll give it at try. Also, I have never seen the Mojito Mint Stash. I'm going to look for it! Now get well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you'll feel better soon because you can't survive on broth, even if it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am coming to your house when I get sick. But I will wait til you are done being sick.....I don't want to catch anything. JK Feel better soon my friend. I live on Advil Sinus and Cold when I'm suffering from the nasty. It really works...and broth of course! I hope you kick it in the butt and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep I think you have it covered, I am glad to say goodbye to the cold, it's been very warm here but at least we're not sick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cold remedies sound nice. Curling up in bed w/a good book?? Makes me almost want to get sick just thinking about it. ;) Hope you're feeling better now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...