Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Resurrection...Quilt Style

Sometimes you choose the wrong fabric. You buy it because it inspires you.  You begin to dream up what you're going to make with it, maybe even draft a pattern. You're excited, you have grand ideas...and then it all falls apart. You start working on your quilt and it's just...meh.  Then you get angry, toss it all in a drawer and proceed to not think about it for at least...six years, give or take.

A few weeks ago I decided I needed a new project (not really as I've got several to work on) but wanted something new, so dragged this disaster out of the drawer and proceeded with the mental anguish.

Shudder.  Well, they're not all touch downs (gotta put a football reference in here for The Mister as it's his favorite time of year).  The fabric I was so excited about was the gooseberries.  I have a history with gooseberries, you can't blame me for buying it. The really tricky party about this gooseberry fabric, what other fabrics to coordinate with it?  So, I went with dull green and pasty yellow.  Bad choices.  Not inspired.

I mean, I don't think I could have chosen a more dull color pallet if I had tried.

Well the good thing, if you can call it that, is that I only had enough of the pasty yellow to make two blocks out of it (it's amazing how much fabric it takes to make a quilt).  Because I didn't have enough original fabric (thankfully), I introduced new and exciting fabrics from my stash into the mix and I have something now that I might actually like.  I still might have about ten yards of the gooseberry. Can you say back of the quilt?

Better gooseberry.

Slightly more exciting pasty yellow.

I cringe at my previous choices, they just look sad next to the more vibrant blocks

I also realized that I really like the square in a square look, and so introduced a mini square to the party.  Adds more visual interest.

My original gooseberry and pasty yellow.  I am much happier now.  If you look closely, the blocks on the right have more of my original fabrics in them, the two on the left have the new additions.

Which ones do you like better?

And, wait for it....wait for it...the best is yet to be revealed.

Thanks for reading!

Heather

4 comments:

  1. You are a quilting fool. I totally have you beat. I started making the world's ugliest quilt (I did it on purpose as a kind of joke for the Christmas white elephant). But it was SO ugly I couldn't bear it. And I couldn't spend any more time on anything so hideous. Kudos to you for dragging out an old project. Not that your project even remotely approaches the ugly that was my quilt that I think I threw away. Now, get back to stitching so we can see the finished product! Oh, and BTW...I may have...um...sort of tagged you in the post I just put up. It was fun though....really!!!! Wait!! HAHA! I just got an e-mail in my inbox and you've discovered my treachery!!!!!

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather you know I'm jealous of your mad quilting skills and I don't think that you could make a bad one! I'm kind of fond of the pasty yellow myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Danni....you couldn't make a bad quilt even if you tried! Love all the colors and the way the black pops. You still hold the title of the quilting Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not as bad as you say but I do prefer the yellow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...