Monday, February 24, 2014

Sweet Little Bluebird's Sister's Crock Pot Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Phew.  How's that for a title?  Aside from the long title, I really only have two words for you...

Make these.

Okay, it's me we're talking about.  Of course I have way more words for you than that.  I mean, I am not exactly my mother who in the words of my Dad can, "Talk a stick to death."  And I am not my own children who inherited the talk a stick to death gene from my Mom, but I am close.

First of all, Click here for Mary's recipe.

You gotta do it because I am only putting the most meager instructions here.  So, click up there for all the details.

Now, go check your grocers.  For whatever reason, pork shoulder is on sale round these parts and so when I saw that, I knew exactly what we were having for The Mister's birthday feast!  It's not summer, I know, but these sandwiches are good year round.  Make sure to buy some sweet and spicy pickles and coleslaw, I just go with the bagged variety.  Also make sure to have some barbecue sauce on hand.  I like my sandwiches saucy.

This is where I am deviating a bit from Mary's sister's recipe.  I trim the majority of the fat cap off the meat and then generously salt all sides before it goes in the crock pot.  This is a big hunk of meat so you want to season accordingly.  I chose not to pepper it because of all the spices in the rub.

My local grocery store doesn't sell the particular rub that Mary's sister uses.  So, I go with this: Pork Rub. It has kind of a spicy, cinnamon-y thing going on.  It's really yummy! Drizzle a bit of oil in the bottom of your crock pot and sprinkle some of the rub mix on top of the oil.  Place meat in crock pot.

Per Mary's sister, I practically use the entire tub of seasoning.

Let it cook for hours and hours, and bask in the smell of your kitchen.  Anyone coming over for a surprise visit will ask to be invited to dinner.  Luckily, you're going to make a giant pot so you can have guests and send the husband off to work with leftovers the next day.


Devour.

Thanks for reading!!!

Heather

7 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. That looks delicious. I love the slaw on top.

    And, now you've succeeded in making my belly rumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so hungry right now, I could lick your pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made Mary's sisters recipe and it is delicious! Talk a stick to death..that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably should just move here! We could be neighbors and I could come for dinner every night cuz you would feel sorry for me when hubby goes out of town because I am eating my own cooking. You would say,"Come on over neighbor....you look like you are starving!!" and I would bring you raspberry bushes and raspberry wine, and I would feed your chickens when you go on vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, woman!!! That looks and sounds delish! I bet hubby loves you forever:) I'm off to read Sweet Little Bluebird now, thanks for the hot tip:) Hey,can you send me some of that, just to hold me over til I make it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow, spring and pulled pork seem to go together in my book. I like the idea of starting off with a rub, going to have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...