Thursday, October 11, 2012

The final stretch!!!

Back when I decided I was going to make My Youngest a quilt for her 4th birthday...I figured I would have it done in a week or two, easy.  Fast forward 3 months and I am still not done with it.  I thought I'd have it completely quilted during the Olympics due to all the TV I was watching... But, that didn't happen either.  All I wanted was for it to be done by the time it got cold...

Attention...it is now the middle of October and the quilt is still not done!!  Due to an unseasonably warm summer and early fall...it still isn't cold...but the cold is coming...like...tomorrow. 

p.s.  I'm close.  I am really close.  With the quilting finally complete...and dang did it take longer than I anticipated...here's where we're at as of now...


Chop of the excess fabric.  Cross fingers the quilt is even because as of now...even if it's not, it's how it's gonna be.


Cut an extraordinary amount of 2.5" stripes for the binding.  Sew them together....miscalculate exactly how many inches are needed...


Proceed with the wrestling match known as...sewing on the binding.  Use this tutorial...it's a 3 stepper.  Step 1  Step 2  Step 3



Have just enough binding to make it barely around the quilt.  Let's just say skin of our teeth, here.  It would have been extremely frustrating for me to have to cut another round of binding for a couple of inches.  Very happy it just squeaked by.


We're at the end...hand-sewing the binding onto the back of the quilt.  There is a method (and I've used it before) of machine sewing on the front and back of the binding.  Problem with it I've found is it leaves a visible line of stitching.  So, if you don't mind this visible line of stitching, that's okay.  Me...not a fan.  So I hand stitch around the entire perimeter.


See, you just inch along, folding the binding over and using an invisible applique stitch to hold it in place...3 more sides to go.  I love when a project is completed!  Stay tuned!

Thanks for reading


Heather

6 comments:

  1. Heather, I cannot wait to see it! Quilting is such a labor of love! All of that time put into one quilt and the amazing hand work that you choose to do...wow! I'm always impressed with your work. Your youngest is a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! It is a heck of a lot of work. Luckily I enjoy it! Otherwise, no dice!

      Delete
  2. Heather, this would be the part where my sewing machine, Damien, pukes up something green and permanent on my nearly finished project!! Yours is so beautiful and your labor of love is almost finished and I can't wait to see it when it is!! You are awesome...as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Danni, I love that you have named your sewing machine Damien. I can't wait for it to be done either. That doesn't mean my baby's gonna want to use it. She only wants to use the blanket MY Mom made me a hundred years ago because it's soft and fluffy. oh well.

      Delete
  3. Don't shoot me heather, but I'm a bad quilter, I just serge the edges. I love the binding look but I'm still learning and I'm lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit reply before I was finished. I love the fabric, looking forward to the finished quilt

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...