Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Stitch in the Ditch

Remember the picture of my Swoon Quilt yesterday...wanna see how I've quilted it?


So, I have done stitch in the ditch around all the major shapes.  I did not stitch the seams within a major shape, like the diamonds or, I'll call them, house shapes...except for the large square in the very middle.  I also used a deep turquoise thread.  Because I was stitching in such a simple way, I wanted to highlight what stitching there was with a dark color.

I am really happy with it so far.  Giddy in fact.  This little beauty has been in the works for about a year...which is not unusual for me.  As a hand quilter...it takes me a bit longer for a completion. 

I also love that I will have two completions within a couple of weeks of each other.  My Youngest and I will have a new quilt for winter.  My oldest has declared she gets a new one next year. She wants more than  her Wiz quilt.  She does have another quilt on her bed, it is her original big girl bed quilt, so don't fret that she will freeze this winter.  Of course...now that I think about it...I would like to make her a new one...that one was made 5 or so years ago...and I have improved so much since then....hmmmmm....


The first question out of this one as I lay my Swoon quilt out to take some pictures...Are there any needles in it?  No.  Okay, I'll get all my toys.

Commence playing on the as yet unbound quilt...they really do make good spots to play house.

Thanks for reading!

Click here to help me vote for what binding to put on the quilt...


Heather

8 comments:

  1. I wanna Swoon quilt. It is on the list… the long, long list. I admire your tenacity for getting so many actually finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I love this quilt, it's so striking. I just keep plugging away, I never give up hope...unless I decide after a year I hate something...which happens.

      Delete
  2. That readhead is adorable! Your quilting skills never cease to amaze me. The darker stitching looks so good. I like that you want it to stand out. It's well deserving of some attention ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Sherry for lovin on my baby. I do like the darker thread, I think it's kinda fun.

      Delete
  3. Heather, you know I don't know a lot about sewing, but I actually do know "stitch in the ditch"...my friend taught it to me when we made a few wall hangings. It's perfect for this and definitely highlights your handi work!! Gorgeous quilt...beautiful girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni, you totally know more than you think you do. I'll tell ya what, I love stitch in the ditch because it means no drawing lines on!!! Thanks for the nice comment!

      Delete
  4. Just gorgeous Heather - I think I may need to try my hand at a little patchwork one day - I would love a quilt, but it may take me years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat, you totally should! It's my creative outlet and so much fun. Even if it does take years...eventually it gets done.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...