Monday, May 14, 2012

Too much Chocolate!?!?!

Can too much chocolate be too much of a good thing?  Well...I normally would say not possible.  But today I am going to go out there, be wild and say...yes.  The tasty treat I made for Mother's Day was too chocolaty.  But that's not to say that I don't think the recipe I'm going to share isn't a good one, I'm just going to modify it for my viewing audience so that you can make it mo' better. 


The dough though...I'm just going to say that I'm not normally an eat the dough out of the bowl kinda gal.  I like my cookies cooked...but this dough...YUM!  It was graham cracker.  And it was just good.
I originally found this recipe on pinterest.  Here's the post I was inspired by: Baked Smores by the Apron Gal but I've changed it completely.

Oh yeah, and not to put you off your Baked S'mores, but this is what My Youngest and I captured on the trampoline...which, knowing what I know now...I might not have attempted at the time...



It is a Phidippus Audax, otherwise known as the Daring Jumping Spider.  Eeeeeee!!!  They can jump 50 times their size by diverting their blood to their rear legs.  They are known for their green or blue chelicerae...which I thought were the fangs, but turns out they are movable oral appendages...okay then.  These spiders have 8 eyes and have the sharpest vision of ALL spiders.  Luckily if you get bitten by one because it jumps on your face, you won't die, you'll just get a slight irritation.  They do eat bugs and other spiders, so, Chubacca and/or Jennifer (as my girls have now named her), will be released into the vegetables to hopefully kill off any bugs who want to eat my tomatoes.



I will say, one good thing about capturing nature, is my girls get a chance to observe things and record their thoughts and observations.
Okay...on to the S'mores...

Baked S'mores
3/4 C. Softened Butter
1/3 C. Brown Sugar
3/4 C. Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 Skimpy Cups Flour...just go with what you think is skimpy....by the way anything "skimpy" is my favorite measurement
1/4 tsp. Salt
8 Graham Crackers crushed into crumbs
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
7 Oz. Marshmallow Fluff
Hershey's Chocolate Bars...this is where my measurements get a bit fuzzy.  As I used the ginormous sized bars.  I am going to say you need 8 to 9 regular sized bars, but I might buy 10 just in case to fill in the edges.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan.

In medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, grahams and baking powder.  Set aside.

In a mixer fitted with flat beater, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy.  About 3 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time and mix in.  Add the vanilla and mix to combine.

Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined.

Take half of the dough and press into the bottom of the greased cake pan with your fingers.  Make sure that it's as even as you can get it and fills all the way to the edges.


Take your chocolate bars and place in a single layer over the dough.

Take your fluff and spread it over the chocolate bars.  I found this to not be difficult at all.  I placed dollops of fluff evenly over the chocolate bars and then using a frosting spatula, spread it out until it was a nice, even layer.  Zero stickiness for me.


Now, take the remaining 1/2 of dough and put it on a piece of parchment paper.  Place another piece of parchment over it and mush until it is approximately the size needed to fit over the marshmallow fluff and fill in all the way to the edges.  I put my cake pan over the top so I had a good idea of what size I needed.  Don't stress this too much.  Because the dough is very malleable and as soon as you plop it on top of the fluff, just adjust where you need to.  I would recommend covering the entire surface with dough from edge to edge.  It's easy.  I promise.



Place in oven and cook for 30 to 35 minutes.  Mine took 35 until golden brown and awesome.  Let cool.  Once I took it out of the oven, I covered it in aluminum foil and it sat for...oh I'd say at least an hour and a half if not two hours until it was served and it was still a bit warm and gooey.

The Mister says he wishes the chocolate had solidified, because then he could have dunked his cookie bar in a glass of milk.  That would, by the way, be completely delicious.  I haven't tried it...but I wish I had.

Enjoy and have visions of camp fires dancing in your heads.


Oh yeah, we also made these. Which really are my go-to cookie nowadays.

Thanks for reading!

Heather

10 comments:

  1. I like skimpy and scant as measurements. They really help the visualization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum the smores look amazing! And yuck yuck yuck eeew to the spider!!!! It would not have been released gently into the vegie patch at my house - I would be the run screaming murder while Sean found a way of hiding/getting rid of it haha xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat...I considered making the husband take care of it..but he's more afraid of spiders than I am...tricky. I do want the bad bugs eaten though as I'm trying to not use pesticides on the vegetables. That's why I was brave.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that awesome spider is named after me. I also suggest that you place your dessert in a bowl and pour m ilk right over it. That is what my brother does with all cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, my Dad does the same thing with his cake. I am not such a fan of super soggy cake, but in this case...I'd make an exception. I thought you'd like the spider's name. Black Widow!

      Delete
  4. s'mores...mmmmm! I have yet to try a s'mores flavored recipe I didn't like and I can't wait to try this one! I love that you let your girls observe and record! (Even if it is a gross spider!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Danni, you've got to make these then, really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, theselook good! And the spider, loved that part of the post! I love Your BLOG!!! So glad Natalie "hooked" us all up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love Mary! I am glad Nat is doing the group too!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...