Sunday, February 27, 2011

Faux Gourmet Cupcakes


Happy birthday Ryan!  Lucky for him he has two assistants to help him unwrap his presents...and play with all the packing peanuts.  Because of his birthday, I have been cooking and baking almost non-stop for two days!

Yesterday was pumpkin pie (his request) instead of birthday cake and chicken lettuce wraps for his birthday dinner. 

Today it's home-made bread and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes for the birthday party at his parent's house.  And get this, I'm not even going!  My youngest is sick sick sick.  So, as it's his birthday, I guess he gets to go to the festivities instead of me.  Fine.  Whatever.





I am going to give you a great tip.  Make these cupcakes the next time you need a birthday cake instead of whatever you were planning on making.  I can't tell you how many compliments I get on them and nobody believes it's a cake mix!  I mean, people tell me these are the best cupcakes they've ever had!!  It doesn't even matter what kind of cake mix you use.  Any flavor you want!  How sweet is that!  I typically make chocolate or yellow cake.  That's just me, I'm not a fan of white cake.  Lemon would be good though.



Faux Gourmet Cupcakes
1 box cake mix, any flavor you like
3 large eggs
1/2 C. melted butter (that's 1 stick)
1 C. water

Preheat oven 350 F
Add all ingredients to stand mixer.
Mix on low 2 minutes with wire whisk attachment. 
Scrape as needed.
Mix on high 1 minute.

Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners.  (Make sure to choose really stylish liners, it'll make you feel fancy).
Scoop batter 2/3 full in each cup.
Bake for 18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool completely on wire rack
Frost as desired.
Enjoy!



Fresh from the oven, and boy do they smell good.  Yes, that's the bread I made also cooling in the background.  I chose to make the bread first due to the oven temp needing to be much lower for the rising and felt after it was done, my oven would already be pre-heated and ready for cupcakes. 



Here's an example of me having over-filled my cupcakes.  This is where I struggle the most.  Try very hard to only fill the cups 2/3 full.  Not 3/4 or you will have spillage and then your cupcake tops will run into each other and they're not as pretty.  You should get 24 cupcakes from this recipe.  If you only have 22 or 23, you've over-filled so remedy it.  Please.



Here I got it right.  Nicely domed cupcakes, no over-spillage.  Just right!
And then on to the final step...no not frosting as I forgot to put my butter out last night and so I'm trying really hard to get it to soften.




Volunteers?  Anyone?





2 hours later...



Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...peanut butter and milk chocolate frosting...I don't think I need to say more.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...